Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Cha-Cha-Cha-Chia

I'm well under way with my raw eating adventure.  I've been making green smoothies every morning and I feel great!  My appetite has significantly lessened, I don't feel deprived of anything, I've noticed a big change in my energy level and finally the scale is starting to show some results as well!

My dessert book by Ani Phyo arrived and I experimented with a couple of recipes.  I made my first raw chocolate cake.  I have to say it wasn't bad, but it was really, really rich.  A couple of bites was about all I could take, but my daughter who is a chocolate lover gobbled down an entire piece.   Most of my family had some and although I did not receive a chorus of "Ummmm"s,  "Wow, this is great!", or "OoOOOOO"s,  I did not completely offend their taste buds either.  (I will say that everyone agreed that after sitting in the fridge for a day it was much tastier)

I also made a raw ice cream.

I am the only one who likes it.....

And that brings us to my next creation, Cha-Cha-Cha-Chia pudding. Yes, these are the very same seeds you put of the terra cotta chia heads/pets from years past.   I'd seen various recipes for this in the umpteen raw "cook" books I'd checked out of the library so when I happened upon a bag of chia seeds at Whole Foods I figured it must be destiny.  Following a recipe from Mimi Kirk's Live Raw I made a bowl of chia pudding.  Basically you soak the chia seeds in almond milk (or liquid of your choice), throw in some sweetener and flavoring of your choice, stir it a few times, let it sit for awhile and you're done.

Now seems like a good time to throw in some interesting facts about Chia seeds.  Chia seeds come from a flowering plant belonging to the mint family. The scientific name is Salvia hispanicaHistorical records that survived the Spanish conquest show that the crops of the Valley of Tehuacan, near present day Mexico City, had included chia since 3400 BC (Schery, 1972; Solbrig and Solbrig, 1990; Harlan, 1992; Rodriquez Vallejo, 1992).  The Aztecs and Mayans both used this valuable plant to supplement their diets, in Mayan, the word “Chia” means strength.  Aztec warriors and runners are believed to have sustained themselves for an entire day on just a tablespoon of chia.  The Aztecs found Chia to be so important that for some time it was used as currency by them.  The seeds were also used in their religious rituals, as offerings to their gods.  After the Spanish Conquest of Mexico, the cultivation and use of Chia was suppressed, as it had been used in Aztec religious rituals. (The Spanish conquerors were attempting to impose a new culture on the indigenous people and everything associated with the Aztec culture was actively discouraged. Chia and most of the other crops formerly grown by the Aztecs were replaced by European grains and vegetables.)  Today, Chia seed is being rediscovered and embraced as a "superfood", and it is quickly becoming popular among nutritionists and herbalists alike.

Some of the nutritional benefits:

In 2 tablespoons of Chia Seeds:

omega-3 fatty acids:  5 grams (Unlike flax seed, you don't have to grind chia seed in  order for your body to use it)

fiber: 7 grams

protein: 4 grams

calcium: 205 milligrams

Chia seeds are an excellent source of antioxidants containing even more antioxidants than fresh blueberries.

Besides EFAs, Chia seeds also provide fiber, iron, calcium, niacin, magnesium, zinc and phosphorus. 

Some of the health benefits:

  • can help reduce blood pressure
  • can help stabilize blood sugar
  • Athletes have reported that Chia seeds help them perform at optimal levels for much longer periods of time  
  • have anti-Inflammatory properties, numerous arthritis sufferers have reported reduced pain and inflammation after a few weeks of taking Chia seeds
  • can help with weight loss, the balance of fatty acids (Omega 3), fiber and abundance in protein help build muscle and burn fat. The seeds have the ability to absorb up to 10 times their weight in water/liquid which also helps to cleanse and soothe the colon, absorb toxins while lubricating and strengthening peristaltic action, provide bulk and are low in calories.

OK, you now know more about Chia than you thought you ever would!  

So, back to my Chia creation.  (Mind you, I did NOT know any of this information before consuming my Chia pudding).  I had let my Chia pudding sit in the fridge overnight.  The next morning I put a bunch in a container and off to work I went.  Normally I would sip on my green smoothie all morning but as I was excited to try out my Chia pudding I ate that first.  I had a small taste and wow, it was pretty good so I dove right in!  I must have gobbled down 5-6 more spoonfuls when I realized I was really full.  I mean REALLY full. I put my Chia pudding away.  

You know that super icky, heavy, uncomfortable feeling you get when you have grossly overate, well that was me for the next 8 hours!  I kid you not.  I was sooo uncomfortably full that on 3 separate occasions I found myself standing in the bathroom seriously debating on jamming a finger down my throat until everything came back up!  Eventually everything did come back up, well I should say everything came back out....you know that tidbit I gave you earlier about cleansing the colon and strengthening peristaltic action, my colon could be likened to Mt. Vesuvius.  AHAHAHAHAHA.........ewwww.

I had over dosed on Chia.  Just goes to prove the point, everything in moderation.

It wasn't until this morning that I actually felt OK again.  While I am now a true believer in the wonderous power and benefits of Chia, it will be some time before the Chia and my lips meet again.....
 

No comments:

Post a Comment